‘Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country’
is a celebration of Wangkatja country, a testament to the strength of the community who have fought to stop uranium mining at Yeelirrie for over forty years, and a chance to come together to continue share our commitment to a sustainable future without nuclear. It is a chance to reconnect with the land, and to revive the tradition of walking for country.
Join us TONIGHT August 14th for a WANFA fundraiser and
5th year celebration of Walkatjurra Walkabout
Come along to Yellowcake Country, a night of fun fundraising for Wanfa and celebrating the 5th anniversary of the Walkatjurra Walkabout. This art exhibition and auction will be held from mid-August until the end of the month, and the opening night will include a performance by Embers of Loretta, talks from WA Nuclear Free Alliance reps and auctioning 10 of the best art work by our own Jo Vallentine!
Sunday morning the WAlkatjurra Walkabout hits the road!!!
If you are coming then pack some warm gear as it is cold at nights!!..
Marcus and Bilbo just returned from taking the new food truck up to Leonora and it was around 4 degree’s at night, but beautiful mid 20’s during the day.. There has been quite a bit of rain latley and if the sun stays out over the next few weeks then we may be in for a real treat of desert wild flowers!!
The new food truck had a bit of a break down in Kalgoorlie and needed a new starter motor!! Bit of a bummer but way better to happen now and in Kalgoorlie than during the walk.. So we are looking at this as a blessing in disguise!!
We pick up the new water tank and trailer tomorrow and things are getting really exciting as people begin to fly in from all around the Country and the World this week 😉
Would you or a friend be able to sponsor a walker ?
Do you know anyone who could help cover the costs for two Aboriginal people to attend the Walkatjurra Walkabout ?
We are also looking to helpassist 2 people from Taiwan who are buying their own plane tickets but need some help with the $10 a day for food..
ALSO !! A Japanese Buddhist nun who has been walking through Fukushima has just got her plane ticket to join us on the Walkatjurra Walkabout but we would like to sponsor her the $10 a day for food…
$50 sponsors one walker for 5 days.
$100 for 10 days..
$300 entire walk for one person
All donations are tax deductible..
Make a tax deductible donation just CLICK HERE
If you are still thinking about coming on the walk NOW is the time to make a commitment.
The bus is looking full so if you have not registered then you may need to find your own way to get to the walk or we can put you on a growing waiting list if someone can not go at the last minute!!
1. Make sure you register! If you are coming on the walk, we need to know. We have started stocking up on food, sorting equipment, and getting the super exciting new kitchen truck set up. Many thanks to all walkers who have already paid a donation towards food and support costs, we couldn’t start the process without it.
2. There are only 4-5 places left on the bus out to the start of the walk. Get in quick if you need a ride. Email Marcus on firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a seat.
3. Start getting all your camping and walking gear ready. Make sure you have a had a read of the Information for participants. Be prepared for all sorts of weather – warm during the day and cold at night, with possibility of big rain. Have you got a tent or swag? A bed roll? Good shoes? Footwear is very important – might be worth going on a few longer walks beforehand to get fit and break them in.
4. Tell all your friends! Are you talking to everyone you know about the walk? It’s a pretty big deal, apart from walking long distances in a stunning landscape, supporting community development projects with an awesome indigenous ranger group and learning new skills out on country, we are building strong, resilient community based Resistance to stop the proposed mines in Northern Goldfields and keeping WA uranium mining free.
Have you thought about contacting your local paper to see if they are interested in running a story about your trip? Or having a potluck in your community to develop a bit of local support? The more people who know about it, the better 🙂
5. Get your best outfit ready for the “Yellowcake country” exhibition opening. We are making a night of it and celebrating the 5th anniversary of the walks and hosting a fund raising art auction for WANFA too. It’s going to be a great night for all on Friday 14th August at 6:30pm at the Moores Gallery in Fremantle.
If you have any questions then please feel free to call or email..
Marcus Atkinson: 0400 505 765 email: email@example.com
Peace & Solidarity
Walkatjurra Walkabout Crew