Publicity and Communications Intern
The Publicity and Communications Intern will work with the Organising Committee in all matters related to media and publicity.
The Intern would be responsible for liaising with all media in the lead up, duration and immediate period following the upcoming event Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country.
Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country is a month long walk that links in with current anti-nuclear and conservation campaigns, as well as Aboriginal sovereignty movements within Australia and internationally.
This is an opportunity to build on your networks and communications skills, being linked in and supported by grassroots, government and political, national and international campaigners with decades of experience between them.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with some of the top anti-nuclear campaigners in Australia including the Chair of the Australian Anti-nuclear Alliance of Western Australia, the Chair of the Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance, and the Anti-nuclear Campaigner from the Conservation Council of Western Australia.
This is a volunteer internship, offering national and international networking opportunities, with the chance to work on a campaign with some of the top anti-nuclear activists and Aboriginal activists in Australia.
This position also offers the opportunity to engage in remote Aboriginal communities in Western Australia, and to spend time out on country with elders and Traditional Owners with support networks from diverse people.
1. The Publicity and Communications Intern will work closely with lead anti-nuclear activists around Australia and Traditional Owners to set the media strategy for the event
2. This is a very flexible and dynamic position responsible for giving a voice to remote communities as well engaging with the broader political dialogue surrounding relevant issues
- Marketing: Developing and implementing marketing and communications plans for ‘Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country’ including the design of marketing materials, core messages, and planning media coverage.
- This position allows for engagement with a variety of audiences and stakeholders. A large focus of the campaign is the grassroots perspective, ensuring that community voices are heard. The intern will also have to tailor media for government, large supporting NGOs, lobby groups and unions.
- Website and New Media: Managing day to day website and social media updates including content development, video, blogs, photos, Facebook, and partner links for all core audiences.
- Publications: Writing articles for a variety of magazine publications for promotion in the lead up. Working with the Organising Committee to develop regular articles/publications during the walk that highlight the work of the event and our partners, and place these prominently in external publications or online. Managing the timely production of post-walk overview and material.
- Media Relations: Using the extensive networks and relationships already established by the Organising Committee and Partners, assist in the coordination and management of all press and publicity activities. This will include radio, television and print.
- Enthusiastic and energetic individual with the ability to think strategically about marketing
- Articulate communication with the ability to communicate complex social and environmental issues verbally and in writing to various audiences
- Experience with communication tools including new media, publications, events and media relations
- Ability to work independently on projects and also collaborate as a team member
- Knowledge or genuine interest in Aboriginal issues, anti nuclear movements, human rights, non violent action and environmental conservation
- An interest in remote areas in Australia
- Ability to work closely with a diverse range of people
- Shows initiative
- Sensitive to cultural differences
- This role would be particularly suited to a Media/Communications student looking to place themselves in the forefront of their field by having access to established national and international networks.
Background of Walkatjurra Walkabout – Walking for Country
Footprints for Peace is a grassroots organization based in the United States and Australia. Over the last two decades the group have organised annual walks, runs and bike rides covering over 20,000 miles around the world. The purpose is to educate, inspire and empower individuals and communities to build a sustainable future. During these events thousands of people have been brought together onto the streets to create positive change through peaceful action.
In 2011 Footprints for Peace organised a 10 week walk from Wiluna to Perth, covering over 1250km. It was a “Walk away from Uranium Mining” and was in solidarity with Aboriginal people to push for a ban on uranium mining in Western Australia. People came from across the world to join in the walk; France, Italy, Germany, Greece, USA, New Zealand, South America, and across Australia. The walk passed through the communities at Yeelirrie and Leonora, and ‘Walkatjurra Walkabout’ builds on the relationships created through this walk last year.
The walk will be lead by the Walkatjurra Rangers, in partnership with Footprints for Peace, Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance (WANFA), the Anti Nuclear Alliance of Western Australia (ANAWA) and the Conservation Council of Western Australia (CCWA).
See www.walkingforcountry.com for more details about the walk.
This position is open from the start of May, and will run until the end of September, each year. Applicants who are available at other times of year are also welcome to apply.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any inquiries, 0400 505 765 (Marcus).
Applicants should email their CV along with a short cover letter to email@example.com
3 thoughts on “Publicity & Communications Intern Needed”
Hey Laura finally on the computer and have established direct deposit needed anyway – no fancy plastic visa etc cards. i;ll be putting the cash in bank tomorrow then. Regards Andi Jaemjamrat
Hey- I won’t be your intern but love to show you some things about WordPress when you’re back from ANFA… This is my site be in touch love Ruben
Awesome!!!! Talk soon 😉